We are currently CLOSED to submissions.
Please read guidelines in their entirety before submitting.
Anatolios is committed to uplifting and amplifying the voices of writers and artists who have historically been suppressed. As such, we strongly encourage those who identify as POC, LGBT+, disabled, women, other marginalized identities (and especially any intersection of those) to send in their work.
Anatolios Magazine accepts submissions of prose, poetry, and visual art (including photography). We strive to reply to submissions promptly, but if you have not received a reply within two months, please feel free to query. We highly recommend that you check out any of our issues, available for free online, to see what kind of work we are looking for.
We publish an issue in the winter, summer, and fall. Our submission periods for 2021 are as follows:
April issue (themed): February 1st – March 31st / THEME: Renewal
August issue: CANCELLED
December issue: October 1st – November 30th
- You must be over the age of 13 in order to submit to us.
- Limit your submissions to one the following per submission period:
- Up to 6 poems, each on a new page (ctrl+enter in most word processors) in the same document, single spaced
- 1 piece of up to 10,000 words of prose (fiction or nonfiction), double spaced
- Up to 6 pieces of visual art
- Attach text submissions as a .docx or .doc in Palatino Linotype 12 point font, and image submissions as high-quality jpg/png files. (If you cannot put it in our preferred font, Times New Roman is also acceptable, but your formatting may be affected in the final magazine.) Please only submit as a pdf if you have very specialized formatting that cannot otherwise be conveyed.
- Do not include identifying information in the document itself, as we try to read blind.
- We do not accept work that has been previously published, including on personal blogs. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please inform us ASAP if your piece is accepted elsewhere.
- We do not accept work with explicit sexual content (including graphic descriptions of genitalia). The editors reserve the right to reject any content that is deemed unsuitable for the magazine.
- If your work is accepted, we ask for First North American Serial Rights, which means you are giving us permission to be the first to publish it in North America, but all rights revert to you upon publication. We ask that if you republish a piece, you credit us as the first publication. Unfortunately, we cannot provide payment at this point in time, but we will gladly promote your work and provide links to your social media.
- Include a cover letter in the body of your email, along with a brief third-person biography (~50 words) with links to your social media (so we can give you a shout-out when you’re published!)
- If you have read these guidelines in full, please send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “GENRE – Last Name – Title” (example: POETRY – Shakespeare – Sonnet 2). In the body of your email, please confirm that you have read these guidelines and note if your piece is a simultaneous submission.